My daughter and I went looking for interesting things to take pictures of around the house at about noon so the sun was really bright which helped make a lot of the colors really pop. It was incredibly windy today, so we had a lot of fun running around like crazy monkeys trying to get a shot of a butterfly. The alternating cloudy/sunlight made for some interesting shadow effects. It was really interesting to see the differences between what she wanted me to take a picture of and what I was interested in finding. Her perspective brought to mind last week's Point of View assignment so I enjoyed having her view point as a second set of eyes. This was a really fun assignment because I got to see just how close I could get to things before the image wouldn't focus any longer or just turn out blurry. It was also interesting to watch the images develop texture with the up close and personal photo session.
This first collage represents the images around my house. I tend to like bright pictures and pretty things, so was surprised to find myself creeping close to a hornet's nest to get a shot as well as bees on flowers. The background is of an actual field of wildflowers growing over the rise behind the berry bushes in our back yard. I choose that as a background because the green, whites, and yellows made the other pictures come together more cleanly to my eye. I really like the different colors in my yard and tried to get a rainbow of color going.
This second collage has the same images but cropped to make the details pop a little more. My favorites are of the bee, the tomatoes, and my daughter's little "elf ear" with her brand new birthday earrings.
Below are the individual shots, cropped to bring out the focus.
As always, feedback is more than welcomed even when you don't like it :D My sister's wedding is on Saturday, so I expect to take some macros of the flowers, the cake, the rings, and so on, so I will probably add to this assignment then!





























Hi, your pictures came out great. I especially love the one where the flower is behind your daughters ear, so cute. Great lighting in all, great time of day to take outside pics and its always great to see what the kids would like to take pics of.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kristian! The wind blowing Bella's hair around with the flower she had placed just so made my day :)
ReplyDeleteJessi,
ReplyDeleteI think you're right, most of the photos do pop more in the second collage, but your daughter's ear in the first seems to be highlighted and just gives the over all composition of the collage a sweet, whimsical feel. The focal length on the photo of the tomatoes was great, they have a more three dimensional look. Fantastic collages!
Jen:
ReplyDeleteI really liked how the shine and skin differences on the individual tomatoes stood out. You can even see the "fuzz" on the tomato vines. I like how you saw Bella's ear being a more focal point because she was the "center" of focus during the assignment much more so than what I was actually taking pictures of ;-)
Great shots! Nice, sharp, crisp focus. Love the details. Really liked the texture of the hornets nest, glad you got that one. Also glad you didn't get stung :)
ReplyDeleteYour macro pictures are very nice. I like the picture of the tomatoes the best. The lighting gives them a little shine. It is nice to see the variety of shots as well. I was thinking of getting a tripod to eliminate my hands shaking. I know the longer focal lengths need shorter exposure time.
ReplyDeleteJessi,
ReplyDeleteYou were able to capture some really great macro shots! I love the depth of field in the photo of the goldenrod. The shot of the hornet’s nest is remarkable! I love how you were able to capture the texture of the nest so vividly. The point-of-view that you utilized in photographing the bee made for an interesting photo. Your photos were a pleasure to view!
Melanie: Right when I found it and started snapping shots, several of those little buggers started coming out. It was like they knew and did not approve ;-)
ReplyDeleteJeremy: Thanks. I like using a tripod too, especially with the hand held remote to be able to take family photos with (which is how we took our family picture at Halloween a couple years back). It eliminates the shaking. Another trick is to take a deep breath, hold it, and then take your shot.
Shelly: Thank you so much. The POV for the bee is like the third or fourth angle; I was creeping around him on the left trying to get a face on shot. His antennae came out and up. What is it with bees not liking their camera fame opportunity? ;-)
I had a butterfly in my yard today that was as big as my hand w/ fingers spread open, I thought it was a bird when I first spied it and ran out with my Canon w/ zoom lens to grab a shot. Of course it took off and spent the rest of the morning somewhere else, sigh. FL has a great butterfly population and I plant specifically to attract, feed, and provide habitat for them. With that said you can imagine I love butterfly shots and really appreciate yours. It was kind of you to not only share so much of your process (excellent writing by the way) but to post all your individual shots. Excellence all around on this assignment!!
ReplyDeleteI like the depth of field of the pansy. I like the detail of the beehive. I didn’t think to take a picture of the beehive(on the stone from the picture of last week), using the macro setting. Like many of us we are working out blurriness in our pictures - dandelion and the white flowers next to the beehive in the second collage. I would have liked to see the butterfly closer., but amazing you could even get a picture.
ReplyDeleteI love the tomato photographs. You just want to eat them. They're so shiny and pretty. I love how their reflecting the sunlight. I love the little girls ear. How well you see her strands of hair and the texture of the flower.
ReplyDeleteLisa: Those darn butterflies and their photo-shyness ;-)!!! Thanks for all the feedback!
ReplyDeleteHolly: I tried to get so close to the butterfly, and like I stated, ended up doing some pretty serious cardio to try and get at least one shot. This one I had to blow up a bit to even see it which is why the image isn't as crisp as I would prefer it to be. There were two GIANT butterflies; a monarch and a yellow one that just would not allow the paparazzi to get close ;-)
Vanessa: Thank you for your feedback; the tomato pictures are some of my favorites because they look so darn yummy!